- Where are you from?
Born in Atlanta, raised in Spartanburg, South Carolin
- Tell about your family (spouse, kids, etc.)
Two grown sons, Drew (33) lives in Hoover AL and Sam (29) lives in Columbus OH. Both Single, never married.
- Are you married? How long have you been married?
Married 38 years to Jackie Moore DeVine
- How did you get on the path of becoming a pastor?
God disturbed my conscience the whole time I was at Clemson earning a degree in and working in Electrical Engineering and did not relient until I surrendered to the call.
- Have you been the pastor at any other church(es)?
I have been the pastor of five churches in five different states and the interim or transition pastor of 20 churches.
- How did you end up at Smoke Rise Baptist Church?
I first served as a consultant to SRBC in 2019 and then was asked to serve as transition pastor in the Spring of 2022
- What is your favorite thing about Smoke Rise Baptist Church?
I feel very comfortable with the people—I just like them, period.
- Where did you go to school? What is your education background?
I hold a BS in electrical engineering from Clemson University, a Master of Divinity and Ph.d. from the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, KY
- What do you do in your spare time?
Read lots of books, ride my bicycle alone and with my wife, and go on daytrips most Saturdays with Jackie and I moan and pout about wanting grandchildren.
- Talk a little bit about your favorite bible verse
It changes. Lately it is Matthew 16:18
- Why is it your favorite?
It is such a reminder that Jesus is busy building his church and that is an encouragement to me that when I am trying to help churches I am cooperating with my Lord.
- Hobbies/Favorite things:
I read history, theology, poetry, biographies, sports books, especially about baseball and I ride my bicycle. I used to hike like crazy but those days are over. It’s cycling now.